Friday, January 12, 2007

Homeschool Moment

The boy hates writing. Today his language arts assignment was to write a story about a pet show. To ease the whining that ensued, I offered to write down the story as he told me ad let him copy it onto his paper. Here is what we wrote:

Me and my friend D$#@! went to the pet show. There were cats, dogs, birds, rabbits, fish, lizards, hampsters, horses and their owners. I won first prize with my dog Tag. My friend D#@!$ won second prize with his cat. K won third prize with her guinea pig. K*&^% won fourth prize with her naked mole rat. We got medals and trophies.

After he wrote down the first sentence, he became discouraged and cried and whined at the top of his lungs for no less than 1 hour.

BUT.

He did finish the story, with some "minor" revisions:

Me and my friend D%$@ went to the pet show. And it was horabl. The fish were pranas the snakes bit me, the dogs chast me. The cats clad me. The lisrds were posunis. The pigs had buttid me.

He's going to hate the spelling list I give him next week.

But it is a major breakthrough in some respects. He absolutely hates coming up with stories, so, I'll call it progress.

2 comments:

Andrew McAllister said...

The difference in the two stories is amazing! You can almost see his obstinate mind REFUSING to write anything nice in his version. At least the naked mole rats didn't bite him :o)

Andrew (To Love, Honor, and Dismay)

Gabriela said...

Progress is good. What happened to the naked mole rat-that got my attention!